Thursday 5 March 2015

Jemma's Objectives for 2015

Setting Targets for 2015 (Jemma's take)

After my achievements of last year it got me thinking what do I want out of 2015?

Smiling for the camera at the 2015 UK Spartan Race Beast- Aroo!

There always should be a main goal for the year that I will take time to train for it and focus upon,

Halfway through my Spartan season last year I saw the The RatRace Coast to Coast event. I've always been just a casual summer bike rider and I've never done anything too challenging other than short rides to Uni all those years ago. So the 106 mile distance between two Scottish coasts trail running, cycling and something new I've  never done in kayaking will be a big challenge for 2015.

The RatRace Coast 2 Coast 

Day 1
Start Nairn. 
Run 7 Miles to Cawdor Castle.
Bike 48 miles (road) to Fort Augustus.
Short Run and 1.5 miles Kayak in Loch Ness
Day 2
Start Fort Augustus
Bike 34 miles (20.5 miles off road)
Run 14 miles (Off road along part of the West Highland Way)
Kayak 1 mile
Finish Glencoe

That's my main objective sorted but to get there I need to be run further so I have targeted couple half marathons at Bedgebury and Sherwood Forest- This year I want to build up my trail running further as this type interests me more than pounding the tarmac whilst road running and I'll get some cracking scenery too.

To help with my cycling this year to get ready for the Coast to coast event eyed up a few cycling
sportives near home though not decided on the distance will do as want to test my limits closer to
the time.

I'm still going to keep with the OCR's

March- Mighty Deerstalker at Traquair House in the Scottish Borders
April- Dash of the Titan at Thoresby
May- Dirty Weekend at Burleigh
September/ October/November- Men's Health Survival of the Fittest UK Series including 2x Elite 13 mile events

Having done the Spartan Race series last year it will be interesting to see what Rat Race have to offer in comparison. The Dirty Weekend is arguably one of the best OCR's on the UK calendar but what will the others have in store. We'll be planning to post some reviews of the events so hopefully those poeple looking to the future will be able to utilise our feedback.

Things I need to Target for OCR's

• Downhill running at speed on trails

• Upper body intensive obstacles (Monkey bars, rope climbs and hanging walls)

• Faster step action in thick mud which at present find a challenge and kept getting

stuck.

An Additional Target- The Fan Dance


The last challenge I want to add this year is The Fan­dance/ I didn't even know about this race until was tweeted by the race company to have a crack at it and so I am............ with a loaded weight of 25 lbs over 16 miles of hard Brecon Beacon terrain. The event doesn't seem to see many female competitors but I'm hopeful I can put in a good performance on the slopes of Pen-Y-Fan and having some distant cousins who have been in the army doing this course will be a nice homage to their heritage,

And Remaining a Spartan

After last years exploits being a Spartan is in my blood. I'm also pleased we have UK events the other side of the Peak District in Manchester including a Sprint and a Super, A 5 km race is a little on the short side for me now so I'm hoping to target the Super and drag my niece Shanai along and introduce her to the Spartan Kids race. Aroo!


No comments:

Post a Comment